A fundamental principle of Montessori education is to provide a prepared and harmonious environment that facilitates the student’s activity. Similarly, teachers need the tools and spaces required to provide the appropriate 21st century learning experiences for our students.
With this plan we have considered our overall needs in order to provide a physical environment that is reflective of the quality of education being practiced withing our walls. Our building is in the process of undergoing the much needed changes that will update our interior spaces to conform to the expanding needs of education in today’s world.
We are embarking on a campaign that will transform The Village School and benefit our students and our entire school community.
A State of the Art Gymnasium – COMPLETE!
A generous gift of $2 million enabled us to complete construction on a new, state-of-the-art gymnasium on the west side of the building. Designed as a multipurpose facility to accommodate and expand our school community activities, our new gym provides a full sized court for volleyball and basketball, bathrooms, viewing bleachers, a kitchen for school events, and ample storage. An additional 2,000 square foot student project center in the mezzanine affords opportunities for all program levels.
- Moving the gymnasium has freed up space in the main building for other uses and improvements
- Separation of the current gym and auditorium has created opportunities to schedule a variety of events, assemblies, and programs concurrently
- The student project room provides flexible space for projects and activities on all levels
- The new gym space is open to the entire Village School community for events, receptions, and other functions
- A fully equipped kitchen can be used for both school and community events
A Research Library and Media Center
COMING FALL 2015
“If we aren’t moving forward technologically, we are essentially moving backwards. These enhancements would allow our school to remain competitive and would directly benefit all students and faculty.”
-Village School Parent
- Environment dedicated to research
- State-of-the-art technology
- Traditional library space
- Increased study space for our students
- Opportunities for cross level programs and classes
Through this campaign, we aim to continue to repair and upgrade our 75-year-old building, maintaining its character while simultaneously bringing it into the 21st century.
- Expand Upper Elementary Classroom Space
- New Practice Rooms for the Music Program, Improved Performing Arts Space and Art Room
- Energy-Efficient New Roof, Windows, Heating and Ventilation System, Lighting, and Security Upgrades
- Meeting Rooms and Parents’ Center
- New Health Center
In order to provide a safe and welcoming environment for the children and their parents, students will enter the school through a bright and welcoming walkway, with spaces to meet and mingle.
- This will improve the flow of traffic before, during, and after school, and enable parents to access the building easily
- By locating our Main Office at the courtyard entrance, our staff and administration are more readily accessible to both students and parents, which will facilitate communication and improve security